Saturday, August 9, 2008

I Love This Place: I Really Do



That's me, as sketched at my desk by one of my co-workers yesterday afternoon.

My office at the Loonfoot Falls Chronicle-Gazette is part of the upstairs coffee room.

In the summer, it's a little on the warm side. Air conditioning is a luxury which wasn't extended past the editorial room, at the front of the second floor.

Yesterday, though, was one of those days when it's about ninety in the shade. No clouds. No wind to disturb the serene contemplations of a fly which sat on the coffee room windowsill. The room was warm: a soft, enfolding warmth which gently discouraged, rather than forbade, strenuous activity.

The offices were quiet, except for the sonorous droning of the fan behind my chair.

I sat, gazing now at my computer's screen, then at the contemplative fly, and beyond,: to the azure abyss in which, perhaps, I would find inspiration for this week's column. And, throughout this journey of the mind from a blank screen toward infinity, the fan droned.

I fell asleep.

Candace Kane, the advertising assistant, drew that sketch during coffee break. I have to admit that she caught the moment quite well. My boss, Mr. Johnson, agreed.

Then he and I had a serious talk. I get to keep my job, and my office. Mr. Johnson says he'll see about getting air conditioning into the rest of the second floor. I believe him. We had our talk in the coffee room, after the break, and it hadn't gotten any cooler.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

cute drawing...hey if it opens the boss's eyes into improving your working environment, great! Everyone is allowed a little lapse in alertness, as long as it didn't hurt anyone and you weren't driving!

Brian H. Gill said...

S I L V E R L I G H T,

Thanks for the good words.

I'd add 'answering 911 calls,' and a few other highly-critical tasks to the 'driving' list. But yes: you've got a point.

I think the smart bosses in the world pay attention to working conditions: it really does affect productivity.

Brigid said...

Nothing like icicles hanging out of your nose to distract you from alphabetizing mailing lists. ^_^

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

That's an inside joke, you know. ;)

Ah, yes: I remember the 'good old days:' Doing Bob Cratchit imitations in the winter, being careful to not sweat into the keyboard in the summer.

I think that physical plant maintenance is an aspect of management that could stand more attention in the how-to-manage-your-business publications.

Which gives me an idea for Starting a Small Business Without Losing My Mind!

("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Loonfoot Falls Watchers